My journey...

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

MERDEKA

Our nation is celebrating 50 years of independence. I somehow do not feel very patriotic. I am living in this nation but feel like I am not of this nation. Somehow I feel adopted. Lately I have had so many news of people migrating. a third of my family members have migrated and the main reason why they migrate is because they want a better education for their children or better life. It is tough if you are not a "bumiputera" to get into a good place for university. There are certain privileges that me as a Chinese do not have. So talk about patriotism, I am so sorry Malaysia. Our government made a remark that it is our 50th year of independence yet it is so quiet. They have to have incentives for people to put up flags and lights. (You will have discount in your electricity bill). Out siders see this nation as a harmonious nation. In a way it is. We hardly touch about issues that is "sensitive" though everyone knows it. The different cultures and people groups, except for food, hardly socialize and mix around. We have lived with each other for such a long time. Yet not really living with each other. But I am not going to give up hope. A little glimmer of me feeling belonging happened last week when I went to the butterfly farm and upon showing of my IC, as a Malaysian citizen I get to pay only 5 ringgit instead of 12 ringgit. Not bad at all.

I am sure we have come a long way. 50 years. But we still have a long way to go.

Pictures from my butterfly farm visit....




posted by Janelle at 2:21 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home