My journey...

Sunday, September 17, 2006

My trip to China

I just returned from China. The view was breath taking. Again, I am amazed at the creativity of our Creator. Just take a look at some of the views....







Although it was the home country of my ancestors, I discovered that I am not used to the culture at all. For example, I was queing for the use of their toilet and am about 2 people till my turn. Suddenly out of nowhere, a group of "loud" locals barged in and just went into any available toilets. They waited in front of the que and did not bother about "rude" comments made. Perhaps they are so used to it that it is culturally acceptable.


Another time was when I was waiting in line for food. There were so many people and the que seems to be stagnant. One other reason why the que was stagnant was because the "locals" just cut que whenever they like. They think that "I am just interested in one or two dishes therefore I don't need to wait in line". I got really annoyed and found that I too did the same. Yes. To my shame, I cut que as well. I realised what I was doing after a short while and joined back the que.

I wonder if their character of being pushy and rude have to do with the circumstance that they are in. The community that they are in. It is a matter for survival for them. There are so many of them and they are so overly crowded that perhaps if they do not speak up (they do speak really loudly and at times you feel like they are fighting with one another) or push their way through, they would not get what they want. Plus if one person does it, it will cause others to follow soon after. Fighting for their rights? To be heard? To get what they want?

Does circumstance or the community shape the individual's character? Just being there a few days, at times I find that I have the urge to conform to the society. But of course with my "strong" will I did not :P

Just makes me think of our church. The community that I belong to. When a new Christian comes along, he or she finds him or herself to conform to the characteristics of the "christians". They would start to speak a certain lingo. Pray a certain way. Speak a certain way. Have the circumstances in the church allowed people somehow not to be themselves anymore? They need to be individuals who must conform to the community before being accepted? Or the circumstance forms their character? Perhaps it is our fault cause many times we only affiliate to people who are like us. Those who are not "like us" will feel left out and will eventually leave the church because there is nothing (no sense of belonging in the community) there for them. Therefore to feel accepted, they automatically conform to the characteristics of the community? Have we become exclusive as a body of Christ and no longer relevant to the "normal" society? Will they get a culture shock when they step into the church? Will they feel uneasy with all these people speaking another lingo and acting "super spiritual" at times?

One sad thing which I heard few weeks ago from a member of another church (which I should not mention) said that in their cell group, they talked about other church members and how they are in sin and should not be in the church. If the church is not for sinners then who is it for? Have they forgotten that they themselves are sinners? Should everyone "clean-up" their act first and "be like them" before being accepted?

I wonder if the church accepts people as they are before trying to convert them first, will it help people to have a better understanding of God and grace?
posted by Janelle at 11:26 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home