My journey...

Friday, January 09, 2009

Religion??

Many people do things in the name of God. Some may be genuine but many are just excuses to satisfy their own desires. Why do we do the things we do? I read "Practices without faith is religion." Practices includes reading the bible, pray, going to church, partaking communion etc.

The other day I was at a Japanese restaurant (In Malaysia) and they have the Japanese style seating. A hole in the ground where you put your feet in the hole and you sit on the floor. I always thought that was just a Japanese traditional way of seating until my dad explained to me that it was something very practical. In Japan, because it was so cold, they often have heating in those holes and warm air runs through it. Of course in Malaysia you would not have heating. It is just something that signifies Japan... being a Japanese Restaurant. It seems like a cool thing but many may not know of its original function and purpose. To keep you warm.

Same with the church. Many does "rituals" or practices without even knowing why. And it has become religion. Christianity to many is just another religion. Empty practices. Where is the life? The heartbeat of God? Where God is the Lord? I must say I myself am still seeking for it. Still understanding why we do the things we do. Having to be careful not to be too judgemental.

I guess it has to start with me. I have to walk closely with Him to understand His heartbeat. To observe what He is doing before I judge. I am not saying that the practices are wrong. I do feel that they are very much needed in our journey with God. But why do we do them? Where is that life of God that we do them with? I do not want to just simply be in another religion. Then it is much simpler for me to go to the temple where I do not have to attend every week.

Few weeks ago, someone in my church says that it is a journey towards the heart of God. A people who is so desperate and hungry for Him. Wanting to get so near Him to hear His heartbeat. The practices I guess are our way of expressing our hunger and desire and "tools" used to get to His heart. Everything that we do are for Him and to Him. Not only that but together with Him. We often miss this "Together with Him".



posted by Janelle at 12:51 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home