My journey...

Friday, December 19, 2008

What's wrong with me?

I have been very busy the past few weeks and I was visiting churches because I was not in my local area. Every church that I went to gave a similar feeling. When I walk into the church, I immediately recognise the vision statement and the purpose statements. All churches seems to have them on their walls. The order of service is always the same no matter which church I go to. Worship, announcements, tithes, then the message. It sort of gives me a familiar feel.

This particular church that I went to, is your typical church. The pastor is your typical charismatic pastor. Went to the stage with your full suit and tie. With the hallelujahs and the Praise the Lord after every few sentences. Though I understood what he said, He was preaching on the power of God. I felt really uncomfortable in the way it was presented. At the end, he gave an altar call and more than half the congregation responded. He was praying for people one by one and at the end of some, he would shout "Release!" and the person falls over. I am not against being slain in the spirit. I was slain before. But I feel like I am watching a show. Maybe I am being too judgemental but I felt out of place. Like I did not belong anymore to such settings. Being like a fish out of water.

The thing is I grew up with these. Hallelujahs and I remember attending seeker services where all these are too familiar to me. Why am I feeling out of place now?Have I strayed away? Have I become too critical? Have I out grew it all? Or is there an outgrowing of the Spirit?

I could not articulate why I am feeling such but I am not going to think too much or dwell upon this. I am saddened that I cannot relate to such "church service" anymore. I do believe in the Holy Spirit and the signs and wonders of God. Yet I will walk close to the Lord as much as I know how.

Teach me Your ways as I walk in Your path. Don't let me be too judgemental but help me to understand.
posted by Janelle at 1:08 AM

1 Comments:

there's nothing wrong with you. For what it's worth, I know exactly how you feel ... take care and blessed Advent!

And yes, we do believe in the Holy Spirit and he's cool with us being ourselves as long as we're open to him!

7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home