My journey...

Friday, May 18, 2007

Helping People Discover God in Their Journey

The problem with the church today is, we have evangelism and we ask the person, "Do you know where you go when you die?". Then we get them saved but the very next day, they did not die and yet nobody is there to teach them how to live as a christian. All they are told is to attend church. To go for meetings. Join a cell group cause you need to be in "Fellowship" and grow. Then we produce clones. Christian clones who know how to pray, act and know all the right words to say but have lost their originality as a person. We caused them to be so disconnected with the "outside" world that they do not know how to fit in anymore and so they have to find their identity within the church goers or else, they live double lives. Being one person when they are at work and another when they are with church people.

After having said this, I am part of the church and very much grew up in such an environment. Participated in its "activities".

This week, I suddenly came to realisation that even though I say so much about this, I still live according to what I have learnt since I became a Christian. I have to re-examine my motive when I was being nice to people. Whether I am nice to them cause it is a good "Christian" thing to do or am I really interested in being a friend. Do I just want to retain them into the system of church so that they do not stray away because the church cannot loose its members or am I concerned about them as a person whom God loves. To help them to find God in their journey whether or not they decide to stay in our church or switch church. I must say part of me is being nice just cause it is my Christian duty to.


I am reminded of the verse in 1 Cor 13. If I speak in the tongues[a] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,[b] but have not love, I gain nothing.

Am I doing things because of love for them? Are we helping people find God in their journey? Are we releasing them to their destiny? Are people serving the programs of the church or is the church serving the people? Are we more concerned for the person rather than numbers in our church?
posted by Janelle at 7:59 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home