My journey...

Saturday, February 17, 2007

GONG XI FA CHAI

Happy Chinese New Year. Why do I like Chinese New Year? When I was young, I remember that I would go to my grandparent's place for Chinese New Year. I would be looking forward to it because I can play with all my cousins. While the adults have their game of mahjong (usually overnight) us kids would play with firework, sparklers, cards .. whatever till the sun comes out. Life as a kid.


I still do like Chinese New Year. Not because of the ang pows (though it has something to do with it), not because we do not get traffic jam, not because I can eat all the yummy goodies, Not because I get to rest from work for a week! but I like it because I get to visit relatives. Spend time catching up. I hardly see my cousins. Maybe once or twice a year on special occasions. Although sometimes we run out of conversation topics but it is good just to sit and watch "familiness". Of course we do not stay up overnight anymore. As we get older, we do need more sleep. hee hee but it is still good.


It is our family tradition to go from one relative's house to another. Although the people who go for these roundings are the same group of people. We would visit every single person's house. Like house warming. Conversations will continue from one house to another. Sometimes, we will be in the middle of watching a movie on TV, we will proceed to the next house during commercial breaks to continue the show in the next house. It is quite fun. We can go to about 7 or 8 houses in a day.



In my previous blog entry, I talked about traditions and rituals and how after a while it looses its meaning but I think this is one tradition in my family that is very meaningful. Even though my grandparents are not alive anymore, yet the siblings still think it is worthwhile to build the family ties. I hope that this tradition will not die.

So hope that you will have a great Chinese New Year. Don't over eat... though it is very hard. It is like we will have one BIG meal throughout the day cause it never stops.
posted by Janelle at 12:20 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home