My journey...

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Is Christianity outdated?

I have been attending my Christian Theology course and I have found it very refreshing. I come back realising that there is still a lot that I do not know. It's like the more you know, the more you realise that you do not know. There is so much richness in my Christian heritage that has been lost through the ages. The true meaning of sacrements for example. The reverance for God. The fear of God. The being in Awe of Him. The revelations of our God. The God who is almighty. Our lithurgy. The meaning of kingdom. Of community. The church have lost so much of the richness of our Christian heritage just to "keep up with time". To try to be relevant to the current trend. Are we not relevant anymore to society that we have to create new waves of excitement to "lure" people to the kingdom? Well what do I mean by that? In the churches today, theology is very much watered down. We keep preaching the 5 steps to happiness and we keep wanting to satisfy our consumer. The church members or the non-believers. Youth now seek the new craze.... loud music and jumping. But if you ask them to explain their faith, they could barely articulate because they are not taught it. I said the sinners prayer already what therefore I am saved. That's all that matters. Where is that journey in their walk with Christ.

Church leaders seeking for fame and fortune. They seek to be the greatest and most well known church in the expense of other churches at times. Afterall, it is when we become well known that others are attracted to come and that is where money for the building of the kingdom comes in. It is all for the glory of God. Is it? They have to have the best equipments. The best and most modern and high tech stuff because we need to have the best for God. It is OK if there are others suffering without food. Once the church building is ready we will start to reach out to the poor people as part of our ministry. After all, they would never fit into our church. Our church is for the middle class. We have to cater for them. To attract these people. The poor can go to the churches who specifically cater for the poor.

They teach self sufficiency in the church. Self motivation to achieve your goals in life. Making money God's way. Be the leader God intend you to be. The whole christian faith is about blessing you to be the best you can be out there.... for God. Where then is God? What part does He play? He is the on who will cheer you on and help you on the way when you come into speed bumps?

People trying to keep ministries running instead of ministry for the people. Pastors who are suppose to walk with us in our faith now need us to serve them as though they are "mini" gods. Superstars. Afterall, they have the greatest revelation compared to their congregation. They are the CEO of the church that keeps the church running. Without them, the whole church will be lost. There are so much manipulation and exploitations.

I was asked to pray for this particular school because the principal is wanting to close down the Christian fellowship in the school. Why are we suddenly so concerned when something like this happen when all this while we don't even see christian fellowship as important. We do not even encourage our children to join the christian fellwships. To be the voice in that community. We are more concerned over their tuition classes cause education is very important to ensure their future. Perhaps Christian fellowship coincides with tuition classes. They have to keep up with their friends who are taking tuition. I have to send them to the best tuition. So guess what is more important? So if we have given up that right to be that voice in school why do we feel so sad?

I am reminded of the story that ages ago, the church is the body that approve of what movies are to be screened. The moral values and censorship but the church gave up that right because it was too troublesome. So now, we see all sorts of unethical issues in our movies and we start to protest. But we gave up that right long ago. What is the point of protesting? Then we see the moral decay in our youth. If we cannot beat them, then join them. Approval of homosexuals. Divorce is OK. The fear of God no longer instilled. Issues are swept under the carpet so not to cause arguements. God is a God of peace afterall.

"Who is evangelising who? Are we winning the world or have the world won us over?" Why can't we hold on fast to our faith and heritage and still be relevant to the world today? God after all is a living God. The same yesterday, today and forever. He does not expire. Why are we throwing our theology to catch up with the world? Can Christianity be outdated? Why can't we learn to weave theology together with the society of today?

I am sadden at the state of the church but that makes me more amaze at the love of God. At the grace of God. At the patience of God. Cause I still see the expression of God in the imperfect church. I still see the miracles of God here and there. It could all happen only because of God's grace. Despite the state of the church, I still see pockets of people who seek to glorify God. Who seek His kingdom come. The church may never be perfect but God's dream of His kingdom come is lived out in individuals around the world.

Well, what about me? Being in the system of this imperfect church? I will seek to trust God. I still love the church because the church is God's and this is my family. I I will try my very best to bring His kingdom here on earth to the people I meet. To share the love of God with my community and the people I come across. I do not claim to know everything about the kingdom. Infact, my theology may not be very sound but whatever I know, I shall try to live it out. Teach me Your ways that I may walk in Your path.
posted by Janelle at 5:24 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home