My journey...

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Kingdom

I went to a school for the poor and drop-outs the other day. They have international standard teachers and faciilities but they give it away to those who cannot afford education or cannot enter into our school system. The whole church is involved in this project and everyone is supportive of everyone. One church member allowed a full-time teacher to stay for free at their apartment simply because the full-time staff cannot afford his own place. This reminds me of the time in the book of Acts. Where the believers shared all they have and there is such a real sense of community. Have we lost the true meaning of living in a community? Do we think that we associate with one another once a while and talk about our problems and get to know what is happening with each other and maybe counsel one another ... that is community? I don't understand it myself but that day at the school, I have a taste of what a community may look like. They even have non-Christians as part of them and the non-christians are not looked down upon. All have the same vision and heart. I can sense so much of God's kingdom there in my visit than in any other "mega" church visit who claim to have so many things happening. I remembered a church which I attended. It has more than 1000 members. Very vibrant. Leading and well known church. They have more than 20 ministries. Ministry to the handicapp, to the ladies, young adults, tuition center, security, business man's fellowship, worship, youth, children.... the list goes and they are proud of it. At the end of the day, it is the church serving these ministries and it is not part of the lifestyle of the people. They take pride in their achievement. But we are called to humble ourselves. Even though nobody knows what we are doing, we do what we do because we want to see His Kingdom come. His name glorified. To work with Him to achieve His goals and purpose. I long to see and to be a part of church and community as God has intended church to be. His Kingdom lived out in a community. Where the heartbeat of every person is not for themselves but to see Him lifted up. Their desire is to see His Kingdom come. To be a part of what He is doing. Genuine love for one another. I am not there yet in my own walk. I do not think any church is there yet but I can dream.
posted by Janelle at 11:39 PM

2 Comments:

Hey that's really great. Where is this place? Maybe i can teach music or something there as well when i come back?

It really does sound like what you describe. i look forward to hearing more.

Cheers to a humble generation.

3:10 AM  

Hey.. Yes it is kingdom in action. Will let you know when you get back le. They are looking for a music teacher too. The kids are encouraged to write their own songs from where they come from. They are going to produce an album.

11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home