My journey...

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Men....

I just watched the much talked after (by my youth) movie called twilight. Never really knew why the girls are so crazy about it. At least the youth girls. But now I know. It is about a vampire teenage boy who fell in love with a girl. He is cute (Not in the movie though), charming, romantic, strong and masculine. Masculine not in terms of muscles but he is a guy guy. One who really takes care and protects the girl he loves. Sometimes in the real world, it is often the girl who protects the guys.



I have heard comments from guys saying "the girl scares me. She is too successful. She is too dominant. She is too driven"

I have heard comments from girls saying "Guys are sissies nowadays. He should be a man. He is a man and should be more masculine. "

So tough to be a guy in this day and age. If he is too gentle, they are called sissies. If they are too tough, they are branded too egoistical. But it is true that many of the managerial roles are now filled by women. Women who seems stronger than men. More capable. More driven. Takes more initiatives. Even these girls who seem so dominant, when you talk with then, they would want their partner to "Wear the pants" because this is who we are. Who God created us to be. To be under the leadership of men. To be the help-mate of men. Not that we are less than men but just being different in our make up.

Perhaps the gender roles are changing and girls are trying to be males. Trying to be equal to take the roles of males. Including being the head of the house. Can't blame them. Pressure of society. When males do not step up to their roles. Not in every case though.

Maybe I am a traditional girl. Still believe that guys must do the chasing and that a girl have to give space for him to be him. Not "mother" over him. Someone told me the other day that this is the 20th century and girls can make the first move. Hrmm..

I was reading a book by Elisabeth Elliot and in there was a letter that one of her readers wrote to her.

" I have read Passion and Purity and your books on masculinity and femininity(the Mark of a Man and Let Me be A Woman). My heart absolutely leaps with excitement in agreement with the things you say. That's the way it should be!! Unfortunately, I am finding out that that's not the way it is. Instead of men being strong in the Lord. leaders, hunters, taking the initiative (Their God ordained role), they are becoming weak, insecure, afraid of rejection and not wanting to take risk - even to make a simple phone call or invitation. I want to believe in God's order, but where is it anymore? I get so confused with what I am suppose to do or not do, I am ready to forget this whole dating and getting acquainted business. Where's the persistence, the determination to win a girl's heart and t rust, cost what it will? Where's the peace, surety, confidence, fun, anticipation? Do we have to become aggressive because men aren't?"

A guy once said "I will fight anyone for you" but he too gave up against the slightest competition. Too afraid to pursue in case he would loose. That would have been tragic for him.

Times have certainly changed since the time of Elisabeth Elliot but I have to agree with her though that girls are created differently than guys. That girls should be girls and guys should be guys. Over the years, God did not change His mind about this and create girls to be stronger then guys. Eph 5:23-24. Husband is still the head of his wife as Christ is the head of the church.

So in my journey, continues this quest for love. Perhaps that is why I am still single. Waiting for someone who is has gone extinct? So many girls I know who are waiting for the same thing. Maybe I am living in a fairytale of my own.
posted by Janelle at 7:20 PM

2 Comments:

whahahahaha ! i love this post :D

7:36 AM  

Hrmm... I wonder why you like this post. Hahaha.

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home