My journey...

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Expressions of Faith

A conversation between a lecturer and his student

Student: I feel very pressured to have to do something with my faith.

Lecturer: What do you mean?

Student: My leaders says that if I want to grow in the Lord, I shall be in some sort of a ministry or do some evangelism or teaching to express my faith. So that I do not become like still water that breeds all the wrong things. As I express my faith, I will grow as well.

Lecturer: So what are you going to do?

Student: I do not know. They ask me to do a gifting test to see what my giftings are. My leader mentioned that I am gifted pastorally and in hospitality. That I should join the hospitality minisry or join the cell group to be a cell group leader. But I do not really want to do any of that.

Lecturer: What do you like to do?

Student: I like to paint. But my leader says that painting does not build the kingdom. We need to do things that builds the kingdom and build the church. Things that glorify God.

Lecturer: That is true that we are to build the kingdom but that does not mean you cannot use the talents that God has given you to do that. In all that you do, do the best you can and it shall bring glory to God.

Student: Anything?

Lecturer: Yes. Anything that you do can bring glory to God. It can tell people about a creative God that we serve. You can tell people of this glorious God through your paintings and it builds the Kingdom this way. Look at Michelangelo. He thinks he was only a painter who is employed to paint the walls of the cathedral. But look at his paintings. It brings glory to God. Painting can also be your expression to bring glory to God as long as when you do it, you do it for His glory.

Student: It is true. I do not need to be in a ministry to express my love and desire to God. I can still express my worship through things I like doing. I can also grow in my knowledge in Him through my paintings as He guides me and teach me. It is my expression of faith in Him.

Lecturer: Yes. After all, faith is the medium through which we see God. How we see Him can be expressed creatively. Not all are called to teach or lead. We have our part to do in the Kingdom. Do what you love best and that will be your expression of faith.

posted by Janelle at 2:18 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home